Our Superfood range includes a variety of fantastic animal protein sources, including British Free Range Chicken. This protein source is becoming increasingly popular in the human food sector, but what about pet food? The below article looks at what Free Range Chicken is and how this great protein source is beneficial to dogs.
Free-Range Chicken Defined
According to the RSPCA, a Free Range chicken must have a defined amount of space (no more than 13 birds a square metre). This type of poultry is provided with continuous daytime access to the open air. This type of living condition helps to reduce stress and aggressive behaviour amongst chickens. Free-range chickens can roam and have contact with other chickens whilst acquiring the correct nutrition such as worms to help them develop correctly. Free-range poultry generally has a higher protein content than commercially raised chickens. Happier, healthier chickens are thought to produce tastier meat due to lower cortisol levels which toughen up meat.
The welfare of chickens is based on three factors, these are:
- Physical well-being
- Mental well-being
- Living Conditions
Free Range Chickens
Free-range chickens are given continuous outdoor access to help reduce stress. These types of chickens are provided with better living conditions and are bred at a reduced growth rate, and are given opportunities to live a more natural life with behaviours including pecking, scratching, and exercise. Therefore, free-range chickens have better health and a much higher quality of life.
What are the benefits of Free Range Chickens?
Free-range chickens provide a variety of benefits to dogs. Firstly, they are a great source of lean protein, which helps to grow and repair body parts such as fur and muscle and produce energy for a dog. It is also a good source of vitamins & minerals, including B vitamins & iron which help contribute to overall health & well-being. Free-Range Chicken is also known for containing less saturated fat and more omega-3 than other types of chickens.
Our Superfood recipes contains British Free Range Chicken to provide dogs with a fantastic healthy protein source that will help support everyday health and well-being. With a total 35% Freshly Prepared British Free Range Chicken and a blend of carefully selected superfoods.
Now let’s talk Superfoods
- Ginger – Ginger is a tropical flowering plant and is from the same family as turmeric and cardamom. This superfood contains many antioxidants that can contribute to a dog’s overall health and wellbeing. It is also a great source of potassium to help with nerve and muscle functions.
- Pomegrante – Pomegranate is a fruit with seeds and flesh surrounded by skin and comes from the Lythraceae family. It originated throughout the Mediterranean region and is a fantastic source of Vitamin C which has an essential role in collagen synthesis, this is important to help maintain healthy bones.
- Kale – Kale is a superfood that is increasing in popularity in pet food. This is a cruciferous vegetable and part of the Brassicaceae family, which include cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage, to name a few. Kale is a good source of Vitamin A that helps to maintain healthy vision. While also having low-calorie content and being high in potassium and calcium to help support healthy bones.
- Artichoke – Artichoke is the flower bud of a thistle plant and is classed as a vegetable. This Superfood is a source of Vitamin B3, an important cofactor in carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism. Whilst also helping to support a dog’s immune system and muscles.
- Blueberry – The blueberry was one of the first foods to be titled a ‘Superfood’ and is grown on shrub bushes. Blueberries have antioxidant properties, which may help protect cells from damage and help support the immune system. High in fibre and vitamins C and K, these nutrients are fantastic for contributing to the overall health of dogs.
Explore Our Dog Food Range…
Superfood Beef with Carrot, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Tomato & Courgette$2.25 – $90.58
Superfood Salmon with Dill, Spinach, Fennel, Asparagus & Tomato$2.25 – $90.58
Puppy Superfood Salmon with Dill, Spinach, Fennel, Asparagus & Tomato$2.25 – $90.58
Superfood Duck with Parsnip, Beetroot, Orange, Asparagus & Pumpkin$2.25 – $90.58
Superfood Lamb with Mint, Pomegranate, Mulberry, Broccoli & Fennel$2.25 – $90.58
Superfood Chicken with Ginger, Pomegranate, Kale, Artichoke & Blueberry$2.25 – $90.58